Skip to main content

Can I take my car abroad?

If you hold the V5 document for your vehicle, you can take it outside the United Kingdom to the European Union, the Channel Islands or the Isle of Man for up to 28 days without notifying us.

If you do not hold the V5 document (this would be the case for a Contract Hire agreement) or if you wish to go abroad outside the United Kingdom (please note that the Channel Islands and the Isle of Man are not part of the United Kingdom or the European Union) for a longer period than 28 days, you will need to contact us to receive written permission. To consider your request, we’ll ask you to confirm some information, such as where you are taking the vehicle to and where it will be kept overnight.

To contact us simply use the “General Enquiry” category on our online form.

Please make sure that you check you have the correct documentation, insurance, roadside assistance, and equipment before you travel abroad.